Notice of Privacy Practices – Mississippi Brain & Spine, PLLC
This notice describes how medical information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please review it carefully.
Your personal medical information is private.
Mississippi Brain & Spine, PLLC understands how important your personal medical information is to you. We know you are concerned with how that information might be used, the way in which it is disclosed and how you can access that information. That is why we’ve put this document in your hands. It’s why the “Privacy Practices” outlined here are so important and why we want to pledge our commitment, at the outset, to respect your personal medical information.
Our pledge to you
We understand that your medical information is personal and confidential. We create a medical record of the care you receive because it’s our legal obligation, but more importantly because we want to provide you with quality care. Please know we are committed to protecting your personal medical information from any use for which it was not intended. In short, the law requires us to:
- Keep your medical information private
- Notify you of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to your medical information
- Follow the terms of the most current notice
What this notice is all about
The information in this document applies to all of your medical records whether created by our facility staff or your personal doctor. Please understand that your personal doctor may have different policies or notices regarding the use and disclosure of the medical information created in his or her office. This notice will tell you about the specific ways Neurosurgery One and our facilities may use and disclose your medical information. This notice also describes your rights and the duties we have regarding the use and disclosure of your medical information.
Adhering to privacy practices
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services sponsored the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). This notice describes Mississippi Brain & Spine, PLLC practices and that of:
- Any health care professional who treats you at our location
- All departments of our organization
- All employees or staff of our organization. This includes staff at satellite offices with which we may share information.
- Any business associate or partner with whom we share health information
Be assured that all these individuals and organizations understand that the privacy of your medical information is important, and will be following HIPAA guidelines to ensure that your information is used only as it is intended.
How your personal medical information can be used and disclosed
The following is a list of ways in which your personal medical information can be used and disclosed as allowed under HIPAA provisions. Be assured that we will use your information in the most discreet manner.
Disclosure for health care related purposes
We may use and disclose your medical information for health care related purposes including:
- Treatment, such as sending your medical information to a specialist as part of a referral
- Obtaining payment for treatment, such as sending billing information to your insurance company or Medicare
- Supporting our health care operations, such as comparing patient data to improve treatment methods
- Communication with business partners so they may help us to do our jobs. These business partners are required by contract and by law to comply with the provisions of HIPAA and protect your rights as we do.
Disclosure to other organizations
Subject to certain requirements, we may give out your medical information to other organizations without prior authorization for:
- Public health purposes • Research studies
- Organ donation
- Abuse or neglect reporting
- Funeral arrangements
- Workers’ compensation purposes
- Health oversight audits or inspections
Disclosure to legal agencies
We also disclose medical information when required by law in response to:
- Requests from law enforcement agencies in specific circumstances • Valid judicial or administrative orders
- The government, if you are in the military or a veteran
- National security and intelligence activities
- Protective services for the President and others
Disclosure for contact with you
We also may use your medical information for contact with you, for:
- Appointment reminders
- Possible treatment options and alternatives
- Health-related benefits or services that may be of interest to you
Disclosure in special circumstances
In any other situation not covered by this notice, we will ask for your written authorization before using or disclosing your medical information. If you chose to authorize use or disclosure, you can later revoke that authorization by notifying us in writing of your decision.